Updated: Oct 12, 2019
Working remotely offers a ton of benefits. It can significantly improve your quality of life - and work - in a number of ways. Here are just a few of those ways we at RemoteScouts think are the most life-changing:
1. Increased productivity. Without that daily commute, you will have more energy and time to focus on your work. And without your coworkers constantly coming to your desk to chit chat or invite you to take a break, you will be able to get more done.
2. Improved work-life balance. Forget about Jack. All work and no play makes YOU a dull person. But seriously, it will make you bored, boring, and unfulfilled. Working remotely gives you the freedom to get your work done while also enjoying your life to the max.
3. Boosted morale. Following the previous point, when you are happier at work, you are happier in life. It is what we spend most of our time doing, after all. Having control over your working conditions will give you more motivation to do your work — and be happy about it.
4. Take your time easing into the workday. When you work remotely, you can make sure no one talks to you before your morning coffee.
5. Time flexibility. As long as you get your work done, you can work whenever it is comfortable for you (not including when you have calls or meetings, of course)
6. Meet people from all over the world. When you work remotely, you'll be working alongside other people who are also working remotely. They could be from anywhere in the world! You can acquire new languages and learn about other cultures. Plus, you'll always have a couch to sleep on when traveling.
7. Make your workspace as loud (or as quiet) as you want. Listen to music without headphones and make phone calls without getting eye rolls from colleagues sitting in the open space next to you.
8. Keep the thermostat where you like it. When you work remotely, you can forget about those tedious squabbles with coworkers over the AC temperature.
9. Afternoon delight. Because sometimes you're just too tired at night.
10. No weird or gross smells (at least not ones that weren't made by you...) Sick of your colleagues heating up stinky fish in the microwave? When you work remotely, you don't have to deal with that!
11. Indecent exposure is a thing of the past. Want to walk around your home office naked? Go for it!
12. Spend your lunch breaks how YOU want. Want to watch funny cat videos while chowing down on your BLT sandwich? No one is looking over your shoulder waiting to get you in trouble.
13. You can live like a king (or queen... or any type of royalty you prefer). You can have a crazy high standard of living in a number of countries on your salary.
14. Get an extra 2 hours of sleep. No need to wake up at 6am to sit in traffic for 2 hours to commute to the office.
15. Work from anywhere. Not enough vacation days? Not a problem! You can work from anywhere you want — home or abroad. Why not travel while working during the off-season, when the flights and hotels are cheaper and there aren't any crowds?
16. More time for self-care. Without that long commute, you will have more time to dedicate to yourself — exercising, meditating, reading, etc. You can also take a course, go to therapy, or pamper yourself with a mani/pedi or facial in the middle of the day. You plan your own schedule (as long as you get your work done!)
17. See your children (or fur-babies) in daylight. Have you forgotten what your family looks like? When you work remotely, you can spend quality time with them before bed.
18. Wear what you want. Want every day to be casual Friday? Now you can have casual Monday through Friday. (Casual = underwear) There is no more pressure to keep up with the latest fashion trends.
19. You can have an emotional breakdown in private. Having a hard day with work and need to have a good cry? Or maybe you are dying to yell at one of your coworkers, but you will get in trouble if you do it. When you don't work in a physical office, that's no longer a problem! You can scream into the void with no consequences or witnesses.
20. Get. shit. done. Run errands and take care of your house chores in the middle the day! Do laundry over your lunch break, avoid traffic when making returns, and say "goodbye" to those pesky supermarket lines. As long as you get your work done on time, you're good to go.
21. Upgrade your equipment. Many companies will offer to pay for your office equipment (among other benefits). Time to get rid of that old MacBook from 2005 that's missing a few keys and needs to be plugged in to stay on. Yay!
Are there any other benefits that we forgot to include? Let us know in the comments section below!
If you're ready to find a remote job and want help getting started, reach out to us at RemoteScouts today. And if you're already working remotely but want to find a new remote position, we can help with that, too.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!